Thursday 5 January 2012

Back in the house.

When I was in grade two or three,I can recall how my classmates would look for an opportunity to please the teacher.It was trend at that time to gift the teacher a pen on your birthday and everyone seemed to follow it without a question.I too followed it.I was quite nervous at those times when my mom would asked me to choose a pen for my teacher because I wanted it to be the best pen she had or would receive.
Pen was not the only tool used for the flattering purpose because this tool was available only on one's birthday.For the daily flattering,kids would pluck flowers to be given to the teacher and see whose flower was put in the small flower vase or a glass on the teacher's table.In my auto-rickshaw,the girls would try to locate flowers at every stop.Some of them had fixed locations or gardens,on the route to school, to pluck those flowers and at times the owners of those garden even scolded the kids.The desire of getting a beautiful flower overcame all the fear of  those scoldings.
In those days the rose was a sacred flower.One who got a rose for the teacher was given very importance.Now when I am thinking about it,I can't understand why it was so.However,the rose was above all other flowers and the most coveted one.Kids would do almost anything to grab a pink or a red one.I was quite lucky to have a rose plant at my place.When it flowered,it would have ten to fourteen flowers on it.I would pluck one daily to give to my teacher and be a special kid in the class.This did not last for long as the small garden of my house was completely removed to have more space for the transportation vehicles.
Today, after almost eleven years the rose plant has found its way back to the house and this time I don't have just one plant but nine. :-D They are red,pink and yellow in color.I look at these plants in a hope to learn a thing or two from them.This is because while selecting the plants at the nursery,I was completely overtaken by the glory of this immortal flower and forgot that its beauty  is accompanied by the cunning and ruthless thorns.
I really hope to see a companion in one of these plants. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment